Historical Riversdale

Heritage and culture

Julius Gordon African Centre  

(Versveld House), built in 1880, houses the largest collection of Thomas Bowler paintings in South Africa.

Included in the permanent exhibition are works by Jan Volschenk and Johannes Meintjies (both natives of Riversdal), Irma Stern, Pierneef, Maggie Loubser, Gregoire Boonzaaier and many more.

The Africana Centre also features Khoisan rock paintings and stone implements, Africana furniture of the region and the history of Riversdale.

Artefacts and ancient stone implements of the Blombos Cave can be seen at the Africana Centre.

Louise will meet you here.  Open daily from 10h00 to 15h00 and Saturdays from 10h00 to 12h00.  Long Street Tel 028 713 7939

Groot Trek Monument 

Memorial erected on 7 September 1988 to commemorate the Boeres that passed here on the Great Trek during the 1830s and 1840s.

Situated in Jurisch Park at the entrance of Riversdale on the N2.

The Royal Hotel 

The Hotel was built in 1881. It is another historic building of Long Street dating from the latter part of the nineteenth century.  Stables were located at the back of the Royal Hotel for 60 horses.  Over the years the hotel’s Victorian façade was replaced with a concrete structure.  Fortunately the Victorian arches of the old hotel’s dining room are still unscathed.

Locomotive #970 (Makedas) 

Standing in the centre of town opposite the civic.  This steam train used to carry passengers to the Klein Karoo town of Ladysmith and was a favourite amongst the local community.

Dutch Reformed Church 

Designed by architects Hermann Kallenback and A>M> Reynolds.  Reverend Johannes Rudolph Albertyn laid the cornerstone on 4 March 1908 and the church was completed in 1909.  View the 100 year old organ.

1 Dickson Street.  Tel 028 713 2042

Historical Information